Terrier Number 127 - Summer 2015
Sales and marketing in focus
An update on recent activity in this area, including film and TV contracts, attendance at trade shows, collaboration with the Tenterden Chamber of Commerce, marketing and promotions, and hosting a study tour for delegates at a Tourism Society symposium.
The field to the southwest of Tenterden Town station, which was used for Steam and Country Fairs in the early 1980s, has become neglected and overgrown in recent years. It has now been purchased by a local resident and is being cleared for use as a hay field again, restoring the lovely prospect from the station.
Our balcony saloon
The six-wheeled inspection saloon which formed a popular part of the K&ESR vintage train for some years was built in 1890 at the Wolverton carriage works of the London & North Western Railway for use by one of the District Engineers, probably Mr Killett of Northampton. It became ED33 in the service stock list of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923, and was sold to the War Office in May 1940 for use on the Melbourne Military Railway. At the end of 1944 it was sent to the Longmoor Military Railway, where it eventually became Army No. 3005. Following the closure of the LMR, it was acquired by the Transport Trust and stored on the Severn Valley Railway. It arrived on the K&ESR in 1985. Out of use for the last few years, it is now to be overhauled.
A day in the life of a TTI
The Chief Ticket Inspector describes a typical day working on the train as the public face of the railway.
The Inter-Rail Card
Available to paid and volunteer staff, this scheme (organised by the Heritage Railway Association) offers free or reduced-rate travel on around 100 heritage railways in the UK.
Halcyon days at Northiam
Memories of working as a volunteer at Northiam in the early 1990s (soon after the station re-opened), including the station tearoom (and its beverage dispensing machine), the level crossing gates and the arrival of Santa Specials.
What sort of Terrier?
There had been thoughts of changing the page size of the Tenterden Terrier magazine, but a show of hands at the Volunteers and Paid Staff meeting in March 2015 strongly favoured retaining the status quo for the time being.
One man and his wagon
The history and restoration of 12-ton covered van 501346, built by the LMS at Wolverton in 1934, and later used at Chatham Dockyard before being acquired for use on the K&ESR in the 1960s.
From the footplate: driver
A look at the responsibilities of the driver’s role in the context of a typical day, both in preparing the engine and “on the road”. K&ESR footplate crews are developing a Mutual Improvement website to share knowledge (www.kesr-mic.org.uk).
The next generation: Tara Millen
Profile of a local girl who has recently started work as a Catering Assistant in the Buffet.
30 years of celebrating the work of Colonel Stephens
The Colonel Stephens Society marked its thirtieth anniversary during its Members’ Weekend in North Devon in May 2015.
The Rother Valley Hotel
The former Rother Valley Hotel (now Sahebs restaurant), near Northiam station, is famous in the history of preservation of the K&ESR as the venue for the inaugural meeting of the Kent & East Sussex Railway Preservation Society on 15th April, 1961. However, its connection with the railway goes back long before that, having been built by the local landowner, William Langham Christie, as the Station Hotel in 1902.
Red Nose Day
On Friday, 13th March, 2015, a group of staff and volunteers made five return trips from Rolvenden to Bodiam on the K&ESR’s historic “pump trolley”, covering more than 100 miles, including an ascent of Tenterden bank at the finish. More than £2000 was raised for Comic Relief.
Thank you, Gerald
An appreciation of the work of Gerald Beck, who has recently retired from the post of signalling inspector on the K&ESR.