CSS graphic

Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 133 - Summer 2017

terrier 133 cover4
Pullman car Aries in focus
John Wheller
“Aries” was built in 1952, the last Pullman car to be built at the Pullman Car Company’s works at Preston Park, Brighton. Sold by British Railways in 1969, it spent some 20 years as a static restaurant. After changing hands, it was offered for sale in 2012. After the underframe was refurbished at Derby, it arrived at Tenterden in March 2017. It is intended to restore it to an all-seating configuration, with no kitchen, with the aim of creating an all-Pullman formation for the Wealden Pullman.

Rolvenden level crossing
The level crossing on the A28, adjacent to Rolvenden station, was replaced over the weekend of 11-12 March, using modular pre-cast concrete units, which have been widely used in continental Europe but which have not previously been used in Britain. The K&ESR Permanent Way Department was assisted by members of London Underground staff, working as volunteers.

Tenterden’s second catering outlet
A building in traditional style has been built at Tenterden Town station to replace the use of a marquee for catering for large events. The building, which was constructed by volunteers, also includes an office for the Station Master.

Foxcote Manor
Photo feature showing Western Region 4-6-0 No. 7822 “Foxcote Manor”, normally based on the Llangollen Railway, on loan to the K&ESR.

Back to the 1940s
Photo feature of scenes from the 1940s Weekend on 20-21 May.

A matching pair: our Metropolitan District Railway carriage and our Metropolitan Railway carriage visitor
Brian Janes
The K&ESR has for some years had District Railway carriage No. 100, a four-wheeled, four-compartment first, probably built by Ashbury in 1884. Following recent research, this is now being overhauled and will be returned to its original first-class interior condition. Metropolitan Railway No. 353, also a four-wheeled, four-compartment first was built by Cravens Ltd. in 1892, and was restored to its original condition in 2013 for the 150th anniversary of the Underground. It has now been loaned to the K&ESR for 18 months by the London Transport Museum. No. 353 was used from 1907 to 1940 by the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Light Railway.

The next generation: Samir Oussalah
Anthony Ramsey
Sam Oussalah joined the K&ESR Loco Department as a cleaner in March 2016, and is progressing through the grades and hoping to become a driver.

Obituary: Robin Dyce 1942-2017
Robin qualified as a Chartered Civil Engineer, and worked for the Metropolitan Water Board, Beckenham Council and the London Borough of Bexley. He became involved with the K&ESR when he started working with the Clearance Department in the 1970s, and then joined the Wealden Pullman team and organised car parking for Steam and Country Fairs in the late 1970s and early 1980s. He joined the Board and became Chairman in 1995, during the period leading to re-opening to Bodiam in 2000. He was a leading personality in the twinning of the K&ESR and the Baie de Somme railway in France. In recent years he took charge of the maintenance and development of the Bodiam site and organised the Hoppers’ Weekends.

Obituary: Brian Gooch 1936-2017
Brian was a long-standing resident of Tenterden, and at one time lived in one of the corrugated iron bungalows at Rolvenden Hill, originally built by Colonel Stephens for railway staff. He was a regular member of the Wealden Pullman team, working in the kitchen on almost every lunch-time train since 2001, and also on many evening trains.

Obituary: Michael John Hoad 1934-2017
Mick Hoad was born in St Leonards-on-Sea and, following National Service, worked for the Ordnance Survey and then as a surveyor with the London County Council and the Greater London Council. He became a volunteer on the K&ESR in the late 1980s, and was Station Master at both Bodiam and Northiam.

The Tovil goods branch
Tom Burnham
The branch from Maidstone West across the River Medway to a goods yard at Tovil (strictly speaking part of the Loose Valley Railway) was opened in 1887. It served local industries – particularly paper mills – for ninety years before being closed in 1977. Redevelopment has obliterated almost all remains of the line in Tovil.

A visit to a Swedish light railway
Albyn Austin
Describes a preserved railway, the Skånska Järnvägar, at Brösarp, about 45km north of Ystad, in southern Sweden. It was originally a light railway, opened in 1901 by an independent company, nationalised in 1941 and closed in 1971. This was the first preserved railway in Sweden, and operates over about 13km, from Brösarp to Sankt Olof.