CSS graphic

Tenterden Terrier

Terrier Number 8 - Winter 1975

Tenterden Terrier Number 8Number 8 – Winter 1975

The Colonel Stephens Railway Museum – A resume of recent progress
Report that provisional agreement has been reached with the Tenterden Town Council for space in the fortcoming Tenterden Museum to be allocated for a “Colonel Stephens” Railway Museum.  A number of relics have already been acquired

A spot of bother at Tenterden Town station
Norman Denty
The engine’s driver describes an incident on Saturday 5 July 1975, when a boiler tube of No. 19 (Norwegian) burst

Restoring a Chatham ‘birdcage’
Alan Castle
Describes work in progress on two ‘birdcage’ brake carriages, K&ESR Nos. 60 and 61 (SE&CR Nos. 1106 and 1100).  See also a letter from Douglas Barnard referring to their use on the Longmoor Military Railway (Tenterden Terrier No. 9, p.23, Spring 1976)

From our ticket collection.  Spotlight on a London suburb
Robin Doust
Illustrates and describes a return ticket from New Eltham to High Halden Road, printed by the Southern Railway for the K&ESR in the period 1940-1947

Wining and dining on the Kent & East Sussex
John Liddell
Impressions of the “Wine and Dine Special” on 5 July 1975, including Pullman car “Barbara” and hauled by locomotive No. 3 “Bodiam”

The challenge of Newmill bridge
Describes plans to rebuild the bridge over the Newmill Channel using a second-hand Callender-Hamilton superstructure with a span of 60 feet (wider than the old bridge).  Includes two photographs of the old bridge and an artist’s impression of the new one

I remember…
Dr Ian C. Allen
Article illustrated by the author’s photographs describing his visits to the K&ESR in 1932 and 1934, and again for a “Wine and Dine Special” in August 1975

Plant maintenance on the railway
Boris Perkins
Outlines the activities of the Plant and Machinery Department, which is responsible for a Weatherill 12H loading shovel (built 1963), a Smith rail-mounted self-propelled crane (built 1935), three Wickham trollies and three trailers, a Matissa chair bolt screwing machine and a Hayter lawnmower mounted on a flat trolley

Jottings from a Tonbridge notebook
Stephen Garrett
Extracts from a notebook kept by Jimmy Ashworth, recording work in hand on the K&ESR in the early months of 1907

Personalities of the Kent and East Sussex.  5: Tommy Edwards
Philip Shaw
Tommy Edwards started at the company’s offices at 23, Salford Terrace, Tonbridge as an office boy in February 1912, and stayed there until they closed in 1948

Absent friends.  2 – South Eastern & Chatham Railway “O1” class locomotive No 65
Stephen Garrett
Originally built at Ashford Works in 1896, No. 65 was rebuilt to class O1 in 1908 and spent most of its life at Ashford shed.  From 1948 to 1954 it worked between Tenterden and Headcorn, and was then used for the demolition trains on this section.  It was transferred to Dover in 1954 and worked coal trains on the remaining section of the East Kent from Tilmanstone to Shepherdswell.  Withdrawn in 1961, it was later preserved by Mr E. Lewis-Evans at the Ashford Steam Centre

A Railway Mobile Workshop at Richborough
Douglas Barnard
In 1944, the author was with a Royal Engineers detachment at Richborough, where Mulberry Harbour spans were being constructed and US Army Transportation Corps wagons were being put into running order

Requiescat in pace
Philip Shaw
Illustrates the body of the Wolseley-Siddeley railcar (see letter from John Morgan, Tenterden Terrier No. 7, p.24, Summer 1975), near Kinnerley, Shropshire